Sunday, February 17, 2008

Footloose and Fancy Free with Sushi!

Well, welcome to another Yom Reshion (Sunday, or literally first day). Classes were fine today. I keep plugging away on the future and past tense. I have resolved myself to begin a flash card collection or every word and every verb I learn; it could be interesting. After lunch, various spokesmen and women visited the ulpan to discuss the exciting volunteer options in the community. I decided to help make Mishloach Manot (food baskets) during Purim http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purim for needy families.

The last 2 weeks have had some particular points of interest worth noting. Last Thursday, I had my first Valentine's Day outside of the U.S. since I studied in France. Well, those who can love do, and those who can't speed date. My friend from the Merkez ( a quasi Jewish absorption center) begged me to join her speed dating event since I was A) American and B) a male, I fit the necessary requirements. Apparently there were a lot of American women in attendance and not very many men had signed up. I wasn't promised anything except all the wine I could drink. It's a good thing there was wine because it was the longest 1.5 hours of my life. Although I'm no super model, I must have met every over-weight Orthodox girl Jerusalem had to offer. I found the entire evening rather amusing. I wonder why Jews participate in speeding or other dating services like J-Date in Israel? I mean I have enjoyed some marginal success off of J-date, but that was back in the United State of Goyim. How does one have trouble finding nice young, old, men, women, gay, straight, single, Jews here? It's friggin Israel. That's like trying to find a Knick's fan at Madison Square Garden; it shouldn't be very difficult. Although the Knick's suck this year, so maybe in retrospect it would be difficult, but you understand my point. The entire country is crawling with Jews. You can't walk to the supermarket without accidentally tripping over a minyan (10 adult male Jews).


Shabbat was the usual calm 25 hours at Ulpan Etzion. I have noticed a few interesting and annoying tendencies among my ulpan students during Shabbat. Every Friday night and Saturday morning we make Kiddush (we bless the Sabbath's holiness over a cup of wine). Traditionally, you're not supposed to eat until Kiddush (the blessing over the wine) and Hamotzi (the blessing over the Challhot/ 2 loaves of bread) have been made. Now, I don’t get too angry at those who don’t know any better. Some of us are ethnically Jewish while others of us are more religiously Jewish. It's important to remember that Judaism doesn’t make a distinction between those ethnically Jewish by blood, those who converted, those who are outwardly observant and those who have never been to a synagogue before in their lives; in short a Jew is a Jew regardless of their personal story. However, I do become upset when there are people who dam well know you dont eat before kiddush and hamotzi have been made, and they sit down and eat right in front as to say, " I dont give a shit about your stupid traditions." Well moron, they're your traditions too, and you can feel free to honor them anytime you understand and respect our faith well enough. This leads me to discuss what Israel is and what Judaism means to me, but I'll spare you that rant for another time.


Last week it snowed on Wed, and unlike last month's blizzard, we only had classes delayed until 11AM when only 7 students showed up to class. On Tuesday, I would have made my emma (mother) very happy when I finally had my hair cut. Now in Israel, just as the U.S., I only carry credit card on me. Even before a single strain of hair was cut off of my head, I reached for my credit card and the stylist politely informed that I could easily pay tomorrow since the machine was down. Where in the world can you pay for a hair cut the day after?? Later that evening, Gersand and I went out for the most delicious sushi dinner you could imagine. It was a pleasant change in our diets as we are used to the prison food at Ulpan Etzion. I lost count of how many maki rolls I ate.


On Wed, we saw a movie titled Hesder which describes the trials and tribulations of a religious unit in the army. Most soliders, like most Israelis, are secular and Judaism is just a distant after thought for them. Religious young men receive deferments or flat out exemptions from serving due to their observant status. Instead of serving the usual mandatory 2 1/2 years, they attend yeshivot (religious academies). Some brave and well-rounded individuals chose to balance their religious studies with military obligation even though it's not necessary. I must say that I admire their personal obligation to country with their individual need to learn more about G-d.


Last Thursday, several Ulpan Etzion students, including myself, attended the annual Jerusalem Winter Ball. We dressed up, ate well, drank a ton, and danced the night away all to benefit homeless teenagers. I took Gemma, my darling Londoner, as my date, and we had the absolute time of our lives. I was a bit of a dancing machine, and anyone who knows how I act at weddings, proms, Bar Mitzvahs, or Dancing with the Star's tryouts is well aware of my swing, hip-hop, and Charleston moves. Needless to say, I can cut a rug in a tight situation. I met a lot of interesting individuals; there were many dati (religious) couples and singles. My favorite awkward situation of the night was seeing this one rather young, attractive, woman bumping and grinding like her sluty life depended on it out on the dance floor. I started dancing with her, and as I grabbed her hand, in a polite non-threatening manner, she screamed that she was shomer nagia (doesn’t touch members of the opposite sex). Well, it's hard to believe that the way she was dressed in her hot, low cut number and screw me heals. Regardless, the food was delicious, the drinks filled with alcohol, and the music didn’t stop until they kicked us out close to 4 AM. I haven't had that much fun since my sister's wedding. Shear madness!!

On Friday, I recovered from the Winter Ball and finally met my adopted Shabbat family for dinner. Matt, originally from LA is a massage therapist and his wife, Lewly is a lovely stay at home mother, originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Remember, half of Israelis are from somewhere else in the World. Together, they have two of the cutest little girls, one 2 months old, and the other is 2 year old. The mother speaks, Spanish, Hebrew, and English to the oldest, and the litttle chica understands all three languages so well. I was jealous.

So it's been awhile friends and family. I've been in Israel almost 2 months now, and I'm starting to really feel at home here. Don’t you be strangers! Email me with all your lovely words. Attached below is my brand new Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506951945 where you can see some pictures of me studying. If you scroll down to posted items, you can see the J-Ball pictures as well.

Shavua tov (Have a great week)

David

No comments: