Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The bitch just wont die

As I wait for my delicious kosher Burger Barn hamburger to be delivered, I will entertain you, my reading audience, about several observations I have made recently about life in Israel and the United States.

Over the weekend, I spent a beautiful Shabbat in Haifa, a city in the North of Israel. Now, I haven't been in Haifa for almost 3 years, and it the city was just as amazing as I last remembered. Situated right on the cost, Haifa's majestic hills overlook most of the Golan and Galilee. I spent Shabbat with friends and various other acquaintances, many of them soldiers or soon to be soldiers. We sat around, schmoozed, ate, and relaxed. Now let me just start by saying that these fine young men and women are the backbone of Israeli society. Upon the completion of high school, they give 2-3 years, and sometimes even more, of their lives for the sake of Israeli security and defense. For most, it's not even an issue, although many wish they didn't have to serve, it's part of the national psyche that matures young adults and makes Israelis Israeli. I don’t have to educate my reading public on why there is a mandatory draft every year for all healthy, able minded and bodied 18 year olds. The World around us is a scary place. If we didn’t defend ourselves, who would? As long as Israel is surrounded by potential enemies (Lebanon, Syria, Iran, Hezbollah, Hamas, and Fattah), there will always be a call for an annual draft.

It's important to also consider what the army does for young Israelis; in short, conscription matures children into adults. I meet Israelis my age all the time, who don’t seem 23 or 25. They fool me for much older. Now, not all of these soldiers are battle scared veterans fresh form the front lines. Many had respectable desk jobs. It's not just bullets and landmines. Sadly, for Israelis the last 60 years have been met with 6 wars, 2 Entifadas, and countless counter-terrorism operations, all which offer constant reminders of who we are and what we need to be: a civilian army on call at all times. Although the army is first and foremost an army, it's the best socio-economic equalizer in Israel. On induction day, nobody cares if you're Sephardic (a Jew of Spanish origins), Ashkenazi (a Jew of Eastern European origins), poor, rich, a Sabra (native born Israeli),or oleh (immigrant to Israel). After the army service, many Israelis travel the world, India, Europe, the United States, and relax for awhile before entering the university. Throughout the years, men, and sometimes women, are called up for reserve duty exercises, which are like a high school reunion where they reconnect with friends from years ago. I see it all the time. In my wonderings around Jerusalem, I come across old friends running up to embrace each other months, and years after their service ended. For Israelis, the soldiers you meet in the army are your life-long friends. When you interview for a job, the 3rd question by an employer is ALWAYS, "What unit did you serve in?" If you didn’t dedicate at least some part of your life, towards the armed services, you better dam well have a good explanation. For better of for worse, but definitely not by Israeli design, the army has shaped Israel and Israelis. It's stitched into the fabric of this Jewish country's identity. The only real question is how this does, if it does at all, affect me???

In other news, apparently Hillary Clinton won big last night to remain alive for another day of fighting in the Democratic Primary. I was surprised, hell shocked that Mr. Hussein didn’t finish her off, once and for all. Not that I don’t like Clinton, I actually voted for her before I left, but she hasn’t done very well lately, Many, including myself, figured her campaign was dead in the water. I guess the bitch just wont die. I'd call her the comeback kid, but her husband already received that title with all the coming he did on the campaign trail back in 92. Regardless, the Democratic Party better get their ass in gear and soon because half the party supports Obama, half supports Clinton, and together I don’t think they could beat grandpa McCain right now.

No comments: