Thursday, December 20, 2007

Winter Wonder Yuck

Today's snowfall marked the 3rd snowstorm in less than a week! It took me almost an hour and a half (not that I'm in a hurry these days) to arrive at work. Now, I understand it can snow in Jerusalem( I remember a few inches falling back in Feb), but the weather in Israel can't be as cold or inclement as it's been in New England so far this year.

In other news: Dude, you're getting a Dell!

My Dell computer arrived last night, which was a breath of fresh air. I was confident but not totally certain I would receive my personal p.c. before I left. This laptop will be my lifeline to you my viewing public while I'm away in Israel.

I had dinner with my sister and brother-in-law last night. We talked about my aliyah, and she was less than thrilled with my name change. For those of you, who haven't noticed, I will be calling myself David, pronounced Dah-veed, in Israel. Dewi isn't a very Israeli sounding name, hell it's not even very Jewish. In all honesty, my birth name has been a contentious issue for me since I could remember. Dewi is sort of a family name. My Welsh grandmother grew up in Wales and liked the name. Dewi, which is supposed to be pronounced Day-we but everyone pronounces my name Do-we like Dewey in the Duck tales, is Welsh for David. Well history and tradition are all fine and dandy, but a name like Dewi teaches you to keep your dukes up on the playground. I was picked on incessantly, early, and often during my elementary and middle school years. I have considered changing my name several times, but it would kill my father, and the paper work is a headache. Since Dewi means David, and my Hebrew name is David Chaim, I figured I'd just go by David in Israel.

Many Jews who make aliyah change their name upon entering the holy land. It's not uncommon for an Issac to become Itzhak or a Debbie to become a Devora. This name change symbolizes a greater mental/emotional metamorphism. When we make aliyah, we are born again. We leave whatever lives we had behind. We're no longer lawyers from Monsey, NY or school teachers from Brookline, Ma. We are no longer theoretically but now literally B'nei Yisrael (children of Israel). Our lives take on a new meaning and a deeper cause.

FYI. I am desperately trying to sell my 2003 Blue, Honda Civic. If you or anyone you know might be interested, than please contact me at Mountdew2891@aol.com Thanks!

No comments: