Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Duck and Cover

Shalom Kulom,

All is well here live from Jerusalem.

Lately, I have been finding myself connecting to the American, British, and larger Anglo-speaking community in Israel and greater Jerusalem. Thanks to my friend Richard, from Manchester/London, I have been introduced to many, new lovely English speaking Israelis, most olim chadashim. It's a breath of fresh air to be surrounded by native English speakers many of whom are highly observant. Over the last few Shabbatot, I haven’t had to explain my observant lifestyle nor have I had to explain, interpret, or translate my thoughts and ideas into Hebrew. It’s a pleasant distraction from my non-stop Hebrew speaking, learning environment.

As previously noted, many of my new acquaintances are religious which provide a nice, different reassuring atmosphere. With all due respect, this is Israel and Jerusalem of all places, where it seems most Jews are dati (observant) to some extent. However, at Ulpan Etzion, that’s just simply not that case. I have had to explain, defend, or fight for my religion at every junction so far. I thought living here would finally offer me a chance to be among Jews who understood Judaism. Instead of being comfortable on Shabbos, I am made to feel like the outsider. I have consistently met road blocks in regards to people :watching the football match on tv during Shabbat dinner, listening to loud music, running computers, playing guitars and pianos in public areas such as the Heder Ochal (dinning room area), and people who fail to acknowledge the sanctity of Kiddish by refusing to stand and wait for us to eat. I am having nightmare like visions of trying to keep my room and general living quarters kosher for Peasch, which require even stricter standards during the 7 or 8 day upcoming holiday.

Now most would say, “David it’s unfair, unreasonable, and borderline offensive to expect others to conform to your religious standards. Israel is a democracy and religion is a free choice.” I couldn’t agree more with those statements. I wasn’t always shomer Shabbat. There was a very distinct time a few years ago when I would drive on Shabbat, turn lights on, and watch the Sox game on Friday nights.

However, I always respected and even elevated my personal religious behavior around those more observant so as to not offend anyone. Is it absurd to expect the same in Jerusalem of all places? I can’t nor would want to control what others do in the privacy of their own rooms, but there must be a code of conduct in public ulpan areas. I beg those around, out of common respect not for me but for themselves and their own Jewish history, to be more thoughtful before they answer a cell phone, play their trumpet, or watch Eyes Wide Shut in common areas during Shabbos.

In other news, I spent last Shabbat, compared to most of my other ones, on a beautiful religious kibbutz up north in Bet Shean. I couldn’t get over just how peaceful life seemed for the members. The kibbutz was filled with some of the most gorgeous vegetation, colorful tress and plants I had never seen before. I could see myself retiring or even raising a family on one of these kibbutzes. Families feel comfortable to allow their children to play outside in the countryside, leave their doors open on Shabbat so neighbors can visit, and leave the windows unlocked at nights. Kibbutzism are no longer a hippy commune-fest but rather a serious adventure in free capitalism enterprise with various precise industries. If you're interested in learning more about the kibbutz movement, which many believe helped build Israel up from the ground during the early days of the county between 1880-1930; feel free to visit the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbutz

As previously mentioned, this Saturday at sundown marks the beginning of Pesach or Passover, the Jewish holiday commemorateing the Israelite’s mass exodus from the Egyptian slavery into our desert freedom. I have already purchased my kosher for Passover food/health supplies, which were so much easier this year, and I will begin cleaning my room in search of chametz (forbidden bread products) tomorrow. For more information on Passover/Pesach, please feel free to visit the wikipedia site for holiday details : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover. With the next two weeks off from school, I hope to study more, see a few movies, catch up on my non-Hebrew reading, and visit some museums. More details to follow as the holiday comes closer!

Last week, in preparation for any potential national emergency, we had an air raid drill. Yes, you read my words correctly. We had a fuckin air raid! For some of my older readers, you may or may not remember the good old duck and cover air raid drills under your school desk in the 1950's and 1960's. Apparently, this was the only civil deterrence we had against Soviets if they every decided to drop “the big one” on the U.S. We had an army spokeswoman inform us what to do in case of an “Earthquake,” but we all knew what they meant: Syrian and Iranian missile attacks which may or may not include chemical, nuclear, or biological warfare. Don’t worry; the government hopes to disperse gas masks to the entire civilian population by 2010. Welcome to Israel!

Chag Samech everyone,

David

No comments: