Tuesday, January 15, 2008

High highes and low lows

I'm waiting here inside the office to Ulpan Etzion in what feels like the Jewish United Nations. I hear Russian, French, Spanish, English, Portuguese, Dutch, Serbian (I didn't even think Jews lived there anymore), and Hebrew. We the anglo speaking population are fairly-well represented between Canada, the United States (many from London, Leeds, and Manchester), England, Ireland, Scotland (2 Jews from Glasgow), New Zealand, South Africa, and several from Australia. I requested a roommate who doesn't speak English, whoever he will be, he hasn't arrived yet. My mother would be ever so proud of me; I just came back from linen shopping. Now, I've never shopped for linen. Hell, I don't ever know what size the bed coverings needed to be, but I found something that didn't look too girly and was well priced. I arrived early, felt with all the paper work, took my Hebrew test, and now I'm almost ready to relax. We have a very interesting array of young Jews here, and I'm excited for our ulpan session.

Yesterday was a near perfect day. I woke up at 1230 in the afternoon, went to the bank and set up online banking, an ATM card, then waited at the post office to validate my national insurance card. Afterwards, I met up with another old friend from Boston, Elyssa. She's doing well, heavily engrossed within rabbinic studies. I missed her a lot. We used to fight a lot, but I think we've both become more tame over the last 3 years. In the evening, I attended a play entitled "Matchless" which was a series of 4 comical acts on dating, love, and relationships. I found myself laughing at loud at the familiar humerous pitfalls of dating and love.

Tomorrow, more registration, ice breakers, and maybe we'll learn some Hebrew!

L'hitarot,

David

No comments: